The best part about photo booths are obviously the props. So when I recently planned and decorated an engagement party, I thought it would be fun to re-create a giant diamond ring photo prop I found on an Etsy Blog. While that option was great, it seemed a bit time consuming and complicated. So here is my quick, easy version of the DIY project!
- Wooden embroidery hoop. I didn't even know what this was until I went to a craft store and started trolling the aisles for some sort of round contraption that could work as the band of the ring. They come in a variety of sizes, but I chose a 12 inch diameter.
- A diamond shape template. I just google-image searched mine and then enlarged the print so it was proportionate to my 12 inch band.
- Metallic paint or paint pen. There are so many options to chose from, but Martha Stewart's paints are my favorite! I chose champagne gold.
- Fine glitter in white gold. Again, so many types out there, but Martha Stewart has the prettiest colors.
- Glitter Glue or Mod Podge
- Paintbrushes (large and fine)
- Hot glue gun
- Paint the embroidery hoop with a large paintbrush.
- Carefully cut the outline of the enlarged diamond on a thick, sturdy cardboard.
- When you have the general shape, take a fine paintbrush and outline the diamond and paint the angles and details inside. If you don't have a steady hand, try using a metallic paint pen for more control.
- Take the glitter glue or mod podge and paint the entire diamond (excluding the angle lines, those should stay gold). Sprinkle a thick layer of glitter throughout, making sure every inch is covered.
- Dust off any excess glitter and if you see any empty spots, repeat the above step.
- Once the diamond is dry to touch, hot glue it on top of the embroidery hoop. Hold to secure and let it dry completely.
The guests had a blast celebrating and the ring was an absolute hit! How cute is this couple from the engagement party?! I just loved the memorable photos captured - such fun keepsakes for both for the newly-engaged couple and their guests!